What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
Colon Hydrotherapy is the application of water into the colon for colon cleansing and detoxification. Colon Hydrotherapy is a treatment also known as Colonics, Colon irrigation, Colon Therapy and Colon cleansing. The most popular form of colon hydrotherapy is the enema and its use dates back to ancient Egypt. It is mentioned in various ancient texts throughout several cultures including the Sumerians, Chinese, Hindus, Greeks and Romans.
What you should know about your Colon . . .
A normal, healthy colon or large intestine is a hollow tube-like organ. It is about as long as you are tall and about 2 inches in diameter when it is not distended by gas and putrefied plaque. The function of a normal healthy colon is to move material through it by a process called peristalsis. The colon receives the chyme (what food becomes when it leaves the stomach) from the small intestine, absorbs water and certain nutrients and reduces the chyme to the proper consistency for elimination.
The digestive process and transit time (the time the food enters your mouth until it leaves the body) should take no more than 24 hours. You should also be having 2 to 3 bowel movements per day. If this is not the case, you are constipated. Constipation leads to all sorts of disease, allergies, lethargy, depression, acid reflux, bad breath, bad hair, skin and nails and much more.
Bacteria thrive in the colon. When you eat a good balanced diet, free of refined and processed foods, bacteria remain in balance and do the job of assisting in the final breakdown of the waste materials and producing some vitamins. When diet and lifestyle are not in balance "bad" bacteria and yeast, which normally co-exist with beneficial flora, produce toxins. Toxins break down the protective lining of the colon and are transported by the blood to the liver and kidneys for further filtering. When these organs cannot handle the overload of toxins, they are distributed throughout the entire body. This may lead to conditions of toxemia and autointoxication leading to degeneration and disease.
Five daily habits that work against Mother Nature . . .
1. A diet of refined and processed foods. These foods (and I use the term loosely) do not provide our body with even adequate nutrition and energy. The refining process removes all the fiber from the food that is necessary for healthy elimination.
2. Our "Oh, So Busy" lives take priority over our natural urge to eliminate. Every time we put off the need to move our bowels, we are telling our colon that it is not important, that we don’t have the time, and eventually the neurological impulses stop and we have trained our colons to be constipated.
3. Failing to drink enough PURE (not tap) water. Daily consumption of water should equal half of your body’s weight – pounds to ounces.
4. Insufficient chewing - Digestion begins in the mouth. The food should touch each of your teeth at least once, so that’s 32 times!
5. The most common, and the most detrimental habit, is simply not taking the time to savor and enjoy your food. Food digests best when you are relaxed. When you are stressed and hurry through a meal, your nervous system sends impulses (& blood/oxygen) out to your extremities (fight or flight) and away from digestive functions.